3 Famous Tourist Places in Watson Lake Yukon Canada
Watson Lake is a small and a beautiful town in Yukon, Canada which is situated at 635 miles on Alaska Highway that is very close to the border of British Columbia. As per Canadian census 2016, population of Watson Lake Yukon Canada was recorded around 790, it was a drop of nearly 1.5% from 802 as comparative to year 2011.
Famous Tourist Places in Watson Lake Yukon Canada make Watson Lake a very famous tourist destination in Canada.
This town is named on Frank Watson, who was an American-born prospector and trapper, who got settled in area at end of 19th century.
Watson Lake is near to the Liard River, at junction of the Alaska Highway and the Robert Campbell Highway. Northern end of Cassiar Highway is around 22 km west of the Watson Lake.
This small town is also being served by Watson Lake Airport; this Watson Lake Airport was served by the Canadian Pacific Airlines and other regional and local airlines, now presently offers charter and corporate services.
Watson Lake is one of the main centres of small forestry industry in Yukon and was a service centre for mining industry, especially for Cassiar mine in the northern British Columbia and Cantung mine on border of Yukon-Northwest Territories in Mackenzie Mountains.
Famous Tourist Places in Watson Lake Yukon Canada
1. Sign Post Forest: This Forest has amazing collection of signs at Watson Lake, Yukon and is very famous of landmarks along Alaska Highway.
Sign Post Forest was started in 1942 by a homesick G.I. Visitors to Sign Post Forest add their own signs to the already present posts.
2. Northern Lights Centre: Northern Lights Centre is a unique facility which was built in year 1996 to feature amazing phenomena which is known as the ‘Aurora borealis’ or ‘Northern Lights’, Northern Lights Centre boasts surround-sound systems and state-of-the-art panoramic video.
This Northern Lights Centre too incorporates an interactive display which explain the folklore and science of Northern Lights with latest information about program of Canadian space.
Canadian rocket technology played a very important role in the early Northern Lights research. It is one of the very Famous Tourist Places in Watson Lake Yukon Canada.
3. Morgan Chaddock Recreation Center: Morgan Chaddock Recreation Center is situated just beside the Signpost Forest and the Visitors Information Center. This place has great facilities like:
– Toddler room: available while the center is open for drop-in
– Meeting Rooms: available for rent
– Large community hall: available for rent complete with kitchen and bar
– Youth Centre: air hockey, pool table and a host of other games and activities
– Regulation size ice rink: public skate, hockey with equipment rentals available
– 3-sheet curling rink with lounge in the winter
– Swimming Pool: 15,ooo sq. ft. that will accommodate 75 people, change rooms and a lifeguard on duty
– 3-lane bowling: equipment rentals available
– Weight room: free weights, treadmill, exercise bike, elliptical machines and a weight machine.
– 2 squash courts: equipment rentals available
You can also go through www.yukoncommunities.yk.ca to know housing services in Watson Lake.